Minister of Defense of Ukraine held a meeting with Heads of Diplomatic Missions of Canada and the United Kingdom2020-03-13 10:39:26 | ID: 56299
The Minister of Defense of Ukraine Andrii Taran held a meeting with Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United Kingdom Melinda Simmons and with Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Canada Larisa Galadza.
The Head of the Defense Ministry expressed his gratitude to the foreign partners for the consistent support of the Armed Forces in protecting the independence and territorial integrity of Ukraine. In this context, the Minister noted the success of ORBITAL (United Kingdom) and UNIFIER (Canada) training missions.
During the event, the Minister of Defense of Ukraine emphasized the continuation of the course of integration into the Euro-Atlantic area and noted that it is a necessary component for enhancing the capabilities of the Armed Forces.
Andriy Taran informed the foreign diplomats about the five priority goals of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine. These include:
1. Technological modernization of armament systems.
2. Work to enhance professionalism in the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
3. Creating decent conditions for military service.
4. Social support of servicemen and women.
5. Increasing the level of the Armed Forces of Ukraine to engage with Alliance forces and to further advance towards NATO membership.
The Minister stressed that these goals would be achieved by developing and implementing adequate public policy and effective defense management to resist military threats.
- We are committed to continue the defense reform with new strength, energy, confidence and optimism. The priorities of the Defense Ministry are aimed at achieving interoperability in key areas of activity with the Alliance, - noted Andrii Taran.
The parties also discussed prospective directions of cooperation in the military-technical and defense-industrial sectors with the aim of increasing the operational capabilities of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and development of the country's defense infrastructure.
The Heads of Diplomatic Missions of Canada and the United Kingdom assured the Minister of Defense of Ukraine of continued comprehensive support and also proposed a concerted information campaign to support Ukraine's Euro-Atlantic aspirations, especially , taking into account, that the the Embassy of Canada and the United Kingdom are a NATO Contact Embassy in Ukraine.
At the end of the meeting, Andrii Taran conveyed greetings to the Minister of National Defense of Canada Harjit Sajjan and the UK Secretary of State for Defense Ben Wallace, as well as expressed his hope for bilateral meetings in the near future.