The Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine was formed according to the Decrees of the President of Ukraine of:
12.12.1991 # 4 “On the Armed Forces of Ukraine”;
05.04.1992 # 209 “On urgent measures for building of the Armed Forces of Ukraine”;
06.04.1992 # 210 “On the Сommandant of the Navy”.
According to the Decree of the President of Ukraine of 17.08.1996 № 708/96
“On the Day of the Navy” the holiday was established– the Day of the Navy, which is celebrated on August 1.
Commandants of the Navy during the time of its existence:
Since 04.1992 till 10.1993 – Vice-Admiral KOZHIN B.B.
Since 10.1993 till 10.1996 - Vice-Admiral BEZKOROVAINIY V.G.
Since 10.1996 till 05.2003 - Admiral EZHEL M.B.
Since 05.2003 - Rear-Admiral KNYAZ' IGOR
The main goal of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
The Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is aimed to defend sovereignty and state interests of Ukraine in the sea, neutralizing naval groups of the enemy in its operational zone alone and in accordance with other military services of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, assistance to the Army of Ukraine in its sea directions.
Operational zone of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine includes water areas of the Black Sea, the Sea of Azov, the Danube, the Dnister and the Dniper Rivers, it also includes other sea regions, which are determined by state interests.
Main tasks of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine:
- creation and maintaining of the combat powers on the level, sufficient to detain sea aggression;
- neutralization of the enemy naval forces;
- destruction of enemy transportation;
- support in landing of amphibious forces and fight against enemy amphibious forces;
- maintaining of beneficial operational regime in the operational zone;
- defense of its bases, sea communications;
- protection of submarine space within the territorial sea;
- protection of merchant fleet, sea oil and gas industry and other state activity in the sea;
- assistance to the Army in their conduct of operations (military actions) at sea directions;
- participation in peacekeeping operations.
Structure of the Navy
The Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine consists of 5 branches: surface forces, submarine forces, Navy aviation, coast rocket-artillery and marines.
The Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine also has as a component part special formations and units, units institutions of technical, logistical and medical support, military educational and scientific institutions.
By its organization the Navy consists of military command and control bodies, formations, large units, units, ships, military educational institutions, institutions and organizations.
The Deputy Minister of Defence- Commandant of the Navy conducts control over the Navy directly, through the Navy staff, and through other bodies of military control over the Navy.
Command and control over formations, large units, units, military institutions of the Navy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine is performed by commanders (superiors) directly or through their staffs.
The Navy is located in two sea regions - Western and Southern.
Main base of the Navy is Sebastopol.
Other main bases of the Navy are Odessa, Novoozerne, Saky, and Sebastopol.
Surface forces, having in their disposal surface ships and boats of different classes and destination perform to:
- search and neutralization of surface ships, submarines and boats of the enemy, enemy amphibious elements, patrols and single transports(ships);
- provide security of base regions, deployment and arrival of friendly submarines, protection and support to patrols and single transports (ships), protection of merchant ships;
- perform mine laying missions;
- perform landing of amphibious forces and conduct of their operations on the coast;
- participate in fire support of units, acting at the sea directions; perform minesweeping, reconnaissance, and radio electronic warfare;
- conduct targeting of its strike forces on enemy objectives;
- land reconnaissance special purpose groups (detachments) on the enemy shores,
- and perform other tasks.
Naval aviation, having in its disposal planes and helicopters of coast and ship basing, performs the following duties:
- to search and neutralize enemy surface ships, submarines and boats, enemy amphibious elements, patrols and single transports (ships);
- to performs mine laying and minesweeping missions;
- to conduct air reconnaissance, radio electronic warfare, conduct targeting of its strike forces on enemy objectives.
Naval aviation may as well be involved in destroying naval and air bases, ports and separate permanent naval objects, oil and gas complexes of the enemy, provide landing of the amphibious forces and support their actions on the coast, and also for performing other tasks.
Coast rocket-artillery forces, having in its disposal coast installed and moving rocket systems, are aimed to destroy surface ships, amphibious groups and patrols of the enemy, protect bases and coast objects of the fleet, coast sea communications and friendly forces formations, acting at sea directions. Besides, they can be used to destroy bases and ports of the enemy.
Marine Corps, being highly mobile armed branch, is used as a component part of amphibious, airborne and amphibious-airborne operations, alone or in accordance with formations and units of the Army in order to capture parts of the seashore, islands, ports, fleet bases, coast airfields and other coast objects of the enemy. It can also be used to defend naval bases, vital areas of the shore, separate islands and coast objects, security of hostile areas.
Units and organizations of technical, logistical and medical service are directed to support combat and everyday life activities of the Navy. They include units, elements and institutions of technical support, ammunition service and ship maintenance, battalions (groups) of support vessels, logistics bases, bases and depots of materiel, agricultural enterprises, medical units and facilities, post exchanges, aviation, automobile, armor, logistical equipment maintenance workshops (plants).
Special purpose formations and units are aimed to support combat and everyday life activities of formations, large units, units of the Navy and for performing their particular special tasks.
They have as their component parts: reconnaissance, NBC protection, radio electronic warfare, signal, radio, search and rescue, hydrographic and weather, naval engineer service formations, units and elements.
By their organization special purpose formations, units, elements and institutions in general are component parts of maritime regions, and part of them is directly subordinate to the commandment of the Navy.
Sebastopol Nakhimov Navy institute is the main center of training specialists for the Navy, who are trained at 3 faculties: faculty of the armament, of the radio electronic and navigator’s armament and ship energetic. The institute has sufficient scientific, educational, staff and technical potential to train highly qualified specialists. 19 professors and 198 associate professors take part in the training process.