Order “For merits”
It was established by the Decree of the President of Ukraine # 870/96 dated
September 22, 1996 to decorate citizens for their distinguished achievements in
the economic, scientific, social and cultural, military, state and other spheres
of activities for the sake of Ukraine.
Of the order “For merits”
1. Order “For merits” has three grades. The highest grade is the first
2. Order “For merits” can be awarded to foreign citizens and individuals
- Order “For merits” 1st grade – heads of sovereign
countries, heads of governments and parliaments, ministers of sovereign
- Order “For merits” 2nd grade – deputies heads of
governments and Parliaments, ministers and heads of other central
executive power bodies, ambassadors of foreign countries to Ukraine;
- Order “For merits” 3rd grade – foreign countries
embassies to Ukraine workers, popular statesmen and politicians, artists,
scientists, businessmen and others.
3. The person awarded Order “For merits” of any grade is named a knight
of the Order “For merits”.
4. As a rule the nomination for the next grade of the Order is possible
at least in three years after the last nomination.
5. The Order can be awarded posthumously.
6. The Order “For merits” 1st grade has the order sign and the
order star while ²² and ²²² grade have order sign only.