Briefing of the English spokesman of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine (video)2019-04-15 14:50:00 | ID: 49077
Welcome to the Press Center of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine. Here is the weekly update of the situation in the operations area of the Joint Forces from 8th to 14th April 2019.
1. The situation in the operation area of the JFO was tense. The level of ceasefire violations was on the same level as in the previous week with a great number of violations recorded were conducted using weapons which are prohibited by the Minsk agreements. The enemy shelled the JFO positions with 122 artillery systems, 120mm and 82 mm mortars. Anti-tank missile systems, grenade launchers, heavy machine guns, small arms and other infantry weapons were used as well.
Over the past week, from 8th to14th April 2019, Ukrainian defenders’ positions fell under provocative fire by the Russian Occupation forces for 93 times. Thus:
On April 8, the Russian Occupation forces shelled Krymske and Novotoshkivske villages with 122mm artillery systems and different caliber mortars.
What is more, on April 9,10 and 11, the enemy had actively used 120 and 82mm mortars.
On April 12, one more time disregarding the Minsk agreements the Russian Occupation forces shelled the JFO positions with 120 and 82mm mortars by firing more than 60 mines.
The situation in the operation area is under full control of the Joint Forces.
Our servicemen opened fire in response to suppress enemy activity by using infantry weapons and strictly adhering to the Minsk agreements.
2. As the result of the Russian armed aggression, 16 of our servicemen were WIA.
We want to inform with grief that during last week, 3 servicemen were KIA. Also on April 9 as the result of the explosion of explosive remnants near Zaitseve village which is in the grey zone 1 servicemen of the State Emergency Service had died and 2 were wounded. We express our sincerest condolences to families and loved ones of our deceased defenders.
3. And now to the information from the Defense Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine.
Command of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation has dramatically increased supply of a new and modernized types of weapons to the units of 1st and 2nd Army Corps of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. But the lack of training and knowledge of the personnel who used these weapons, especially electronic warfare systems have led to the accident during which the Russian Occupation forces had lost 3 of its UAVs. Representatives of the Russian Command has launched the investigation.
Moreover, according to the information from the JFO Staff, the Russian Occupation forces continue to use and test new items of Russian defense industry. The JFO had recorded that152 and 122 artillery shells which were used against the JFO positions on April 5 belonged to 152mm guided Krasnopol type artillery shells. This type of shells was recently adopted by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and is being produced by Kalashnikov conglomerate.
4. As for other information
5. On April 11, the Minister of Defense of Ukraine Stepan Poltorak held a meeting with the Minister of National Defense of the Republic of Lithuania Raimundas Karoblis. Ministers had discussed the security situation in Ukraine and the world, including threats posed by the Russian Federation, as well as the current issues of Ukrainian-Lithuanian military and military-political cooperation. Stepan Poltorak also emphasized the importance of support to Ukraine on the path of reforms by strategic partners, in particular the Lithuanian Republic. He also stressed that the course of Ukraine’s towards NATO membership remains a priority. For his part, the Minister of National Defense of the Republic of Lithuania Raimundas Karoblis noted that the training of the officers and sergeants Corps for the Armed Forces of Ukraine, projects in the field of reforming of the C2 and cyber security, as well as democratic civilian control are among the priority issues of bilateral cooperation.
In the end of the meeting the Protocol on amendments to the Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the Ministry of National Defense of the Republic of Lithuania was signed.
6. On April 11, the Minister of Defense Stepan Poltorak took part in the 12th “Kyiv Security Forum”. In his speech, the Minister of Defense of Ukraine emphasized the irreversibility of reforms that are taking place in the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine and the whole security and defense sector.
According to the Minister of Defense, Ukraine should respond to any threats and do everything necessary to ensure the security of the state.
7. On April 12, 2019, a traditional medal parade took place in the city of Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo. During the ceremony, MONUSCO Force Commander Brazilian Lt. Gen. Elias Rodrigues Martins Filho awarded personnel of 18 Separate Helicopter Detachment with UN medals for service in a name of peace. In his speech, the Commander stressed that Ukrainians always fulfilled their tasks under all circumstances and thanked our military personnel for their professionalism and commitment to the values of the United Nations. Unfortunately, the event did not have a traditional festive atmosphere due to the tragic death of Ukrainian officer, who served as a military observer in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. On April 11, 2019, a letter from the Mission medical support base in Entebe was received by the headquarters of MONUSCO. It informed that Colonel Yurii Politko died on April 11, 2019 in a hospital of the city of Kampala due to the severe form of the malaria. Ministry of Defense of Ukraine as well as the servicemen of the Ukrainian national contingent in DR Congo express their sincere condolences to the relatives and loved ones of the Ukrainian officer.
8. On April 13th, during working trip to Sumy region The Minister of Defense of Ukraine has participated in opening ceremony of new living facilities for personnel of 58th infantry brigade. During his opening remarks, Stepan Poltorak had also announced that Hummer vehicles have arrived to Ukraine and will be deployed to the combat units in the front line.
Stepan Poltorak also stressed that recently the level of military technical assistance has increased significantly. This applies to all our partners, first of all, the United States of America. Nowadays, 35 “Hummer” combat vehicles are being unloaded in Odessa. Of these, 20 armored personnel vehicles will be deployed in combat units and 15 to medical support units, said the Minister of Defense of Ukraine, adding that all assistance immediately goes directly to the combat units that are in the frontline.
According to the Minister of Defense, during the last time the United States has provided assistance to Ukraine for more than $ 400 million. These are “Javelin” anti-tank missiles systems, modern communications means, artillery intelligence systems, electronic warfare and anti-sniper complexes and UAVs.
This is all information for now!
Captain Sharavara Mykhailo from the Press Center of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine